7 Things I Stopped Buying (and Honestly Don't Miss)

 

I am not a strict minimalist, and this is not a post about never spending money. But over the past while I have noticed that a surprising number of my purchases were habits rather than decisions. I bought certain things simply because I always had.

So I experimented with stopping a few of them, one at a time, just to see what I would actually miss. Here are seven that never made it back onto the shopping list.

1. Bottled water

A refillable bottle by the door ended this one quietly. I do not miss carrying bottles home, and I definitely do not miss paying again and again for something I already have.

2. The automatic daily snack

I used to pick up a small snack or drink almost every day, not because I wanted it, but because it was part of the route. Now it is a genuine treat a couple of times a week instead of an unnoticed habit, and it honestly tastes better that way.

3. Checkout line extras

The chocolate, the gum, the little things placed exactly where you wait. None of them were ever planned. Once I started noticing that they were placed there on purpose, saying no became strangely satisfying.

4. Cheap accessories that keep breaking

Bargain charging cables, flimsy umbrellas, the cheapest version of anything I use daily. I was not saving money, I was paying in installments for frustration. Buying one decent version has cost less over time in every case.

5. A different cleaner for every surface

At some point I owned a spray for glass, a spray for the kitchen, a spray for the bathroom, and something blue whose purpose I no longer remember. One good all purpose cleaner and some cloths handle nearly all of it.

6. Sale clothes I only liked because they were on sale

If I would not want it at full price, the discount is not a reason. This one rule has kept a lot of barely worn clothes out of my cupboard and a fair amount of money in it.

7. Another notebook or organizer

I love stationery, which is exactly the problem. I kept buying new notebooks and organizing things while half finished ones sat at home. Using up what I already own turned out to be its own small pleasure.

What I still happily buy

This is not about buying nothing. I still spend gladly on good food, on time with people, and on the few items I use every single day. Stopping the automatic purchases did not shrink my life. It made room for the spending I actually care about.

If you want to try this, do not cut seven things at once. Pick one purchase you make on autopilot and pause it for a month. Either you will miss it, in which case bring it back guilt free, or you will not, in which case you just found free money.

What is one thing you stopped buying and never missed? I would love to collect more of these in the comments.

Comments

Search This Blog

Archive

How to Speed Up a Slow Laptop: 9 Fixes Under 10 Minutes

Image
A laptop that takes four minutes to boot is not necessarily old. Most slowdowns come from accumulated clutter rather than failing hardware, and a surprising amount can be undone in an afternoon. Work through these in order. The early ones cost nothing and fix most cases. 1. Restart it properly Closing the lid is not the same as restarting. If your machine has been sleeping for three weeks, memory is full of things that were never cleaned up. A full restart clears them. Do this first, before concluding anything is wrong. It genuinely resolves a fair share of "my laptop is slow" complaints.